Pages

Monday, September 2, 2013

Vegetarian/Vegan Chili

I've yet to actually have any "cravings," which is not something I expected. Most of what I'd heard about pregnancy prior to becoming pregnant was all about crazy cravings that have to be met immediately. So far, though, that has not been at all how I've felt. I get into moods for certain foods, but that's totally normal for me. 

Lately, the main food that I've been wanting... CHILI. 

I don't know why, either. It's still warm here, but I guess I am just totally in fall mode. Soups, chili, etc. So needless to say, I've been eating a lot of chili. And I love it! 


This recipe is super basic, making it great for customizing or eating a lot of (it's hard to get sick of it!). 

It's so easy and doesn't involve a seasoning packet, which is awesome! A lot of seasoning packets are super high in sodium, have a lot of extra and unnecessary additives, and even contain gluten a lot of the time! No thanks! 


Simple Vegetarian/Vegan Chili

Ingredients:

  • Approx. 1/2 T oil
  • 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
  • 2 cans each of dark red kidney beans and black beans, drained and well rinsed
  • 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
  • 2 C vegetable broth (or 1 C broth and 1 C water)
  • 2 T chili powder
  • 1/2 - 2/3 t salt
  • 3/4 t garlic powder
  • 1/4 - 1/2 t cayenne pepper


Directions:
1. Dice your onion and then saute it in the oil over medium/high heat in a large pot.


2. Drain and rinse (well) all the beans. 



3. Once the onion has become pretty translucent, add in the beans, tomatoes, broth, and spices. Stir well.



4. Allow chili to come to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for about 30 minutes (uncovered).




Notes:
- If you prefer a thicker chili, boil the chili for several minutes to allow more liquid to evaporate.
- Try serving over a bed of pasta (I prefer Ancient Harvest quinoa pasta).
- Top with your favorite cheese, sour cream, avocado, or chopped onions. YUM! So many options! 

So good! What are your favorite fall foods?

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers