Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

DIY Spice Rubs

Pretty much everyone in my family (except my older sister and I) are HUGE meat eaters. It's hard to think of a party or meal that didn't revolve around a hot grill covered in some sort of cow, chicken, or sea creature. That makes a pretty big divide between us, but we still make it work. :) 

Anyway, there are certain people in a huge family that are really hard to buy for. You know, the people who have all the things they want, save a few uber expensive things that college kids like us (and most normal people) can't afford. Enter DIY gift ideas! 

Check these puppies out! Homemade spice rubs! 

So quick, easy, affordable and A BIG HIT with pretty much everyone else. 

Materials: 
  • Recipes of your choice (the ones I used are below)
  • Jars with matching lids
  • Twine or cord or some sort of thin rope/yarn/etc.
  • Card stock
  • Scissors
  • Markers
  • Hole punch



First, I headed to Hobby Lobby and picked out a couple perfect sized and shaped glass jars with screw on lids. I also grabbed some laminating plastic while I was there.


Then I did some intense googling and research to find a couple well-reviewed steak/chicken rubs. I'll link you along to what I ended up using. Most of the spices I already had on hand, so it worked out really well. (I did end up using a butt load of paprika, though!) 

Then, Drew and I made a night of mixing up two of the recipes. We just dumped 'em right in the (cleaned out and dried) jars. 

I took some construction paper and a Sharpie and wrote the name of the rub, plus any preparation directions on the paper. I cut it to fit the lamination plastic from Hobby Lobby. We poked holes in the paper and plastic, then took big, long pieces of hemp string we had on hand and wrapped it around the neck of the jar, laced the tag through the string, and tied it off! 




It's so simple and wonderful and thoughtful. They were a big hit! I really like how they came out. If you have a family full of carnivores (like me), this may be a really great idea. They are the right amount of practical and personal! :)

** Here is the steak rub recipe and the spicy rub recipe!


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers