Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

How I ended 2012

My 2012 definitely ended with a bang... or perhaps I should say it ended with a chop. Or maybe a slice. If you have heard from me in the past three days, you likely know what I'm talking about; if not, here's the story.

First of all, I have to just lay the foundation by expressing how much I love to cook. Which is a lot. So I was very excited when my mom surprised with a brand-spanking new fancy schmancy knife. One of those super-sharp, will-cut-anything, expensive knives. (You can probably see where this is going...) Then, for my Christmas gift, Drew gave me a CrockPot. I have been wanting one for months and could hardly wait to make some amazing chili in it. 

On Sunday, Drew went to the Falcons game in Atlanta with one of his brothers, so I had the house to myself and figured I would try out my new cookware. It was about 1:00 and my brother was heading over to pick up a movie and drop off a printer. I decided it was the perfect time to whip out my new knife, chop some onions (my very favorite vegetable), and put dinner in the CrockPot to be ready for Drew when he got home from the game. 

So I chopped. As I was attempting to get the middle part of the onion out, I met a little resistance. I pushed through a little harder and came dangerously close to my left hand. I looked down and thought, "Hey, I may have nicked my finger." Then I saw a little blood and realized I had gotten my finger. I ran to the sink to rinse my finger off. That's when I noticed I had nearly taken off half of my finger tip, as well as sliced into my middle finger. 

Luckily, my brother was there within about five minutes after this debacle. We called my mom, who came over and drove us to the Urgent Care center (and we also texted Drew). 

At the Urgent Care place, we thought I would just get glued back together again and only really stuck around so that I could get a tetanus shot. But after two or so hours of waiting, I was told I'd need stitches. Blech. So I got about four shots of numbiness then got my finger sewn back together. It was pretty bad and very painful. 

I'll spare you the bloody pictures, but here is the final product.
I should be getting the stitches out on Sunday--the day before I go back to school! 

Needless to say, I'm taking it pretty easy this week. No real cooking. No chopping at all. Typing without my left index finger (which I now lovingly refer to as my Frankenfinger). 

It seems to be healing nicely, which is good because this semester if going to require me to have my A-game!