Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Obsession: Roasted Chickpeas

Confession: I have a slightly obsessive personality. And by "slightly", I of course, mean insanely.

This personality flaw fact is especially bad when it comes to food. It's a definite problem. I tend to find a random food that I love. I obsess over it and eat it constantly until the very thought of it makes me nauseous. You can see why that may be a problem, right?

That said, though, I get to know the ins and outs of those foods pretty darn well.

Enter roasted chickpeas.

Wow. They are good. They are absolutely my latest food obsession. I make them a lot.

They are nice and crunchy, a perfect alternative to popcorn or nuts. They are low in fat on their own. High in protein (one can has roughly 20 grams--and that's how much I eat...). High in flavor. And easy to make. Really. Perfect snack food? Absofreakinglutely.

You can find hundreds of recipes online. You can make them sweet, spicy, salty, or a combination of all of those. Try them all.

Here is the one I loosely follow, via This Chick Cooks.

One piece of advice: drain and rinse the chickpeas very well. Then towel dry them. Then lay them flat upon a couple paper towels to get nice and dry.  I typically allow them to dry for about an hour. 

Drying.

Ready to be devoured. And oh, they always are!

What are some things you obsess over?