Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

For my husband :)


Four years ago today, my dear husband asked me if I would spend my life as his wife. I gladly accepted, no idea how things would work out for us, only that we would be together. At 18, it was an unconventional decision to make—one that was criticized and questioned by the majority of people that knew us (I was even asked if I was pregnant by a friend!). As you hopefully have garnered, I was not. We opted to get married while we were both still in school and financially unstable. We had the faith that God would provide for us and did not want us to make decisions based on fear. We believed that the love we had for each other was the most important thing in our life, that being together was better than money, jobs, or school. We believed things would work out for us.

Over the past four years (almost three of which we have been married) that leap of faith has proven to be completely blessed. We have absolutely had many ups and many downs; we have dealt with things I never thought about before getting married; but time after time, we overcome. We band together as a single unit, a unified team, the two of us against any issue that comes up, and fight like crazy for each other.

I truly believe that that attitude is what makes us work. We fight for each other, not against each other. We take each issue with the mindset and heartset that any transgression is already forgiven; all problems are small in comparison to our relationship; we have forged a bond that we have vowed to defend come what may. There is no defeat. There is no “try.” There is no quitting, no giving up, no calling it off. We are in it for life and we are in it together. That is marriage.

I can honestly say that I cannot imagine having a better teammate, friend, confidante, partner, husband. When I think of the guys I dated before him, I realize why it never worked out with them (thank goodness!). All those problems, all the drama, all the crap—it was all more than worth it. I found the best guy out there and he found me right back. I am so unbelievably blessed to have him. I love him more today than I thought I could.

Happy anniversary, Drew. Here’s to a lifetime more!