Thursday, May 22, 2014
BBQ + Bacon White Bean Burger
1 can Great Northern Beans, drained and well rinsed
1/3 medium sized onion, roughly chopped
1/2 small red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 scallion, roughly chopped
1/2 t minced garlic
2 T oats (quick oats or regular)
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 T bacon bits **
~ 1/4 t chili powder
dashes of salt and cayenne pepper
oil for sautéing and cooking patties
your choice of BBQ sauce
your favorite cheese (dairy or vegan), buns, lettuce, onion, and all your favorite burger fixin's :)
1. Saute onion, pepper, and scallion with garlic in oil over medium heat until well cooked.
2. Put 1/3 of beans in a medium sized mixing bowl. Put remaining 2/3 of beans into food processor.
3. Once veggies are done cooking, add them to the food processor along with the oats. Pulse the mixture until there is a bit of doughy consistency--not completely liquid, but only some small chunks.
4. Pour processed mixture into bowl with the remaining beans. Mix in the rice, bacon bits, and spices.
5. Once well mixed, heat a bit of oil over medium in a large frying pan.
6. Use your hands to form 4 or 5 patties from bean mixture. Place them in pan and cook for about 5 minutes, until golden on the bottom. Flip patties and push them down to help flatten them out. Continue to cook and flip patties until both sides are a nice, golden brown color.
7. Put patties on desired buns with your favorite burger add-ons, then smother in BBQ sauce. Enjoy!
** It's pretty easy to find bacon bits that are vegan and gluten free. You can add more to the recipe if you want a more bacony flavor.