Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Florida Trip Pt. II

It's been a WHILE since I've posted anything, but I swear I have a good reason--I left my computer at my parents' house for a while. Oops! 

Anyway, I figured I'd post about the rest of our Florida trip in May! 

We did two big things, Harry Potter and the Kennedy Space Center. I already talked about HP, so I figured I'd talk about KSC a little. :) 

It's on Merritt Island, which is really quite beautiful!
 


There's a big rocket garden inside with a ton of old rockets. They're pretty huge and have actually been up in space! It's pretty neat. There are a couple that you can go in, which is pretty insane because the insides are teeny. (Itty bitty living space!)





This is the same service arm that the people from Apollo 11 walked before boarding their shuttle. Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Buzz Aldrin all walked this very same path! Pretty crazy!  

This is where they got all strapped in and ready for launch. Yikes. There's no way a claustrophobic person like me could bear to squeeze into such a small place for so long! Ah, I get anxious just thinking about it! 

"It's not the heat. It's the humidity!" 
Gotta love the south! It was definitely very hot, though. (And humid.) 

There was a bit more to do at KSC--they have a launch simulator (it's not really any different than the simulators you can find at theme parks), guided tours (for an added fee), and a bunch of random exhibits (about a ton of different things, like robots). 

Overall, there's quite a bit to do. I think it'd be especially fun for kids that interested in space. As it was, it was uber expensive with very little to do for adults (without spending about $50-100 more dollars to get a guided tour). I don't think we'll go back again. If we end up having children that are really into space, I would definitely prefer heading to Huntsville for a weekend to go to the Space and Rocket Center there. But I'm glad we tried it out because I've been wanting to go for ages!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

These are just a few more pics from around Florida. I just love it there!

A beautiful sunset starting over the lake! 

A bunch of people live along the scenic road in front of the lake and have these gorgeous mansions with matching docks. It's amazing. 

This is my favorite dock house. It's like French country chic--the actual house (mansion) is absolutely stunning! But I love this little front that goes right out onto the water.